Sunday, January 12, 2014
I used some "Air Dry Modeling Clay" the type sold in one of the discount shops I simply grabbed a lump of the stuff and rolled it flat out on a flat surface. Next taking a steel ruler I cut groves in to the stuff. I specifically didn't do accurate measurements as I wanted them to be a little but random but the average around 7 mm square which in G scale is about right but the exact size of these in real life was so variable that I could really have made them anywhere between 3 and 10 mm square and still been prototypically correct.
For this first batch I let it dry in the air as suggested but soon became inpatient so for subsequent batches I laid out and rolled the lump of clay on to some tin foil so it could be transferred into a oven set to 200 Degrees for about 4 to 5 minutes. As they are so thin (About 2mm) that is all that was needed plus this also allowed me to still break apart the squares as the clay had not completely dried.
The next step was the best part the actually laying of them on to the layout. Each one is placed on a thin layer of PVA glue. I worked in small areas of laying about 20 at a time before spreading out another patch of glue.